Sending Wire Transfers
Wires can be sent directly from Butterfield Online or by downloading and completing a Wire Transfer instruction Form and returning it to any one of our Banking Centres.
Using Butterfield Online for Wires
Using Butterfield Online, your payment can be processed in the same business day, providing the request is received before 1:00 p.m. If you are sending more than one payment to the same beneficiary, you can set up a template, making future payments more convenient.
You can also specify a later date for the funds to be transferred, or set up standing order instructions for recurring transfers. These future dated payment instructions can be viewed under Pending Transfers and Payments until they are sent. Future dated Standing Instruction payments can be reviewed or cancelled at any time before sending by clicking the Standing Instructions option.
After the funds are transferred, you can keep track of your transaction using your Butterfield Online Dashboard or Account Activity Screen.
What information do you need to provide?
In order for us to issue a Wire Transfer payment on your behalf, we will need you to provide us with:
- Details of the bank where the beneficiary's account is held, e.g., the name and address of the bank.
- A routing code for the bank (this could be its SWIFT Code, national clearing code such as a Sort Code, an ABA number or a Canadian Transit Number). Note: If you will be sending a non-local currency to a country (e.g., USD to the UK), you will also need to provide us with the name and routing details of the relevant intermediary bank for the beneficiary's bank.
- The name of the customer placing the wire transfer request.
- The amount and currency of the wire transfer.
- The name, address and account number of the beneficiary who will receive the payment.
- Whether the wire fee should be added to the amount of the transfer or deducted from the amount sent.
- Finally, the account number at Butterfield to be charged for the transfer and fees.
If you are receiving a wire transfer you will need our correspondent bank routing details learn more.