Ensuring your information is accurate
If the personal or account information maintained on Butterfield Online is not correct, please call us at (345) 815 7575 or email email@example.com. We will be happy to review and update your records as necessary. Please note that Butterfield will not contact a customer by telephone to request or verify security or other information.
It is important for our customers to properly protect their security credentials. We recommend taking the following steps to guard against online and identity fraud:
- download the latest security updates or patches for your web browser and operating system
- install anti-virus software and ensure it is regularly updated
- install a personal firewall to prevent unauthorised access to your computer
- install anti-spyware software to prevent unauthorised monitoring of your online activity
- learn to recognise the danger signs of online fraud, such as phishing – e-mail scams usually asking you to "update" or "verify" your customer account information
- use strong passwords and protect them along with your personal information
A firewall acts as a barrier between internal and external computers in a network, controlling the flow of information between the two. When a computer outside the firewall wishes to communicate with a computer inside, it must communicate with the firewall, which then passes the data to the internal computer.
Butterfield is committed to ensuring our security measures are of the highest of standards. As part of this measure we have employed an external auditing firm to perform regular security audits against our infrastructure and web application to ensure we are not exposed to newly introduced vulnerabilities.
There are two types of cookies: a session cookie and a persistent cookie:
- Session cookies are stored in your browser only for the extent of time that you are connected to Butterfield Online. Butterfield uses session cookies to guide the dialog from page to page within Butterfield Online and to control the logout process. When you click the 'Logout' button, the session cookie expires. To perform any further inquiries or transactions, you must log back into Butterfield Online, establishing a new session cookie. Session cookies are time sensitive; after 10 minutes of inactivity, the session cookie expires and you are automatically logged out of Butterfield Online.
- Persistent cookies are stored on your hard drive. Butterfield does not use persistent cookies.
To use Butterfield Online you must have your browser set to accept cookies, but you can decide if you want to have your browser notify you when it is being sent a cookie so you can review each cookie before accepting it, or you can set the browser to 'Accept all cookies'. Please refer to your browser's 'Help' files for more information about cookies.
One component of our security system is Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. When you visit pages requesting or presenting sensitive personal or financial information, the data is encrypted to prevent third parties from accessing it in transit (look for the padlock icon on your browser) SSL encryption has to date been proven to be effective against unauthorized viewing of data. Butterfield Online uses 128-bit encryption on our server to provide you with a higher level of security. To download a 128-bit encryption Web browser please review the following:
- Downloading 128-bit Microsoft Internet Explorer
Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.asp. Depending on your Operating System select the appropriate 128-bit browser. Read the information presented, click 'Download' and follow the instructions. Install the software following Microsoft's instructions.
- Internet Explorer 6-10
You will need to use either Internet Explorer 6.00 to 10 with 128 bit encryption to log on to Butterfield Online. Please note that the online application does not fully support other browser types such as MAC OS, Safari, Chrome and/or Firefox.
Note: Butterfield is not responsible for any difficulties or problems in downloading and installing the software. The respective software suppliers will provide any necessary technical support.
Once you click on the ‘Sign Out’ button, you will receive a dialogue box and the 'Close' button. Click this button to close your online session. If you wish to access Butterfield Online again, you must login. This feature ensures your Butterfield Online session is ended, so no further transactions can be processed. We strongly suggest that you close your browser after you complete your work.
Your Butterfield Online Password
The user is solely responsible for the selection, use, confidentiality and protection of passwords and identifiers. You can help safeguard your information by protecting your password as it is the only way to access your account(s).
To help ensure the security of your account information while using Butterfield Online, we use a system involving VeriSign. For further information regarding VeriSign, Inc. please visit http://www.versign.com/
Although the information in this statement has been obtained from sources that we believe to be reliable, we do not guarantee its accuracy.
For more information and tips about safety online, we recommend visiting Bank Safe Online.